Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Homemade Detergent Results

I thought I would post an update to my Homemade Laundry Soap Project. So far it has been working great, I dont see any negative side effects and it cleans as well if not better than normal store bought detergent. The freshness last a long ways. I just finished using up the first batch of soap and it lasted a total of 4 months for me, but I also gave quite a bit away, to my mom, my sister in law, my aunt, and a friend. If I had that back I think I could have easily gotten 6 months or more out of the first batch!! What a savings! Less than $20 for 6 month supply of soap! I made another batch today, but I changed up the recipe just a pinch, I am trying "Zote" Soap along with the Fels Naptha, Zote is also a natural cleaner and its great for whites. The Zote is a bigger bar than the Fels, so you can use just the Zote and get more bar soap for your money. The Zote is a little bit softer than the fels when you grate it. I also love that the Zote is pink! Gives it a fun color along with the yellow Fels. I also used a new Laundry Crystal this time as well. Its Purex for babies. Its safe for washing PJs, hypoallergenic and 87% natural, so its gentle on babies skin! It also has a great light scent!
I will repost again in a few months on how the new mix is working! Oh yeah I found another new trick: Add a tennis ball to your dryer, it will cut your dry time in half!






6 comments:

  1. Cute blog!
    Curious how well this dissolves in cold water? Good on whites? Years ago I made a homemade detergent,but it was more of a gel. Cleaned very well, but whites got very dingy. Could have been the nasty Springville water, that did it though.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula!! I have had no problem with it dissolving in cold water so far. It works really good on whites, I do still use bleach in my whites too, the Zote is noted for its white cleaning, and the fels for hard stains, I use it on all Steve clothes. So far I havent had any whites look dingey. Its also safe for High Efficiency Washers!

      Delete
  2. Love the pink! I still have plans on doing this just not had a chance to yet. I think I want to try the Zote, where did you purchase it? Love reading your posts! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon, Its actually a pretty cool color! I was at Walmart trying to find the Borax and the Fels Naptha, they were totally out of both, the associate said the amish buy them out of it by the case :( of course. He suggested the Zote as an alternative, its like a size and a half bigger than the Fels, I knew about it before but I hadnt seen it at Walmart, Some people use it instead of the Fels, but I havent seen any use both! So I am hoping to trend it out!! :)I ended up getting the borax and fels at Wegmans! I like the fels for its stain fighting. So I think I will always use that.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephanie. I wanted to let you know that I tried your recipe. I made it a few months ago, and am still on the same batch!! We LOVE IT!!! Actually, my husband just said to me the other day..."are you gonna make more of that detergent?" :)

    And as far as how good it works, personally I've found it works much better than regular detergent. My 6 yr old daughter had a shirt that's been stained forever (with who knows what) but she still wears it for play. I threw it in the wash like normal with the homemade detergent, and it got the stain out!! This shirt had literally been washed tons of times with regular detergent without getting the stains out, but the homemade detergent got it right out!! It was a white shirt, and personally with 2 kids and 2 jobs, I don't have time to separate my whites/colors, so there was no added bleach.

    Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I am so glad its working for you! We have had the same results, its amazing that something so inexpensive works so well and smells so great! The fels naptha is great for stains, the new stuff I added the Zote is supposed to be great for whitening too!

      Your Welcome!

      Delete

I love comments to my blogs, not only because it proves that people are reading and thinking about what I write, but also because they provide much needed inspiration. So please leave me a comment!